Mohini here, writing this blog for Reflections about the 7 basic things to help students & professionals get through the job selection process. I work as a HR Business Partner at Amazon based in Frankfurt. I have been recruiting since a few years now and this blog is based upon my reflections during this time. Stay tuned for more blogs and webinars with me and Reflections team where I would be sharing more tips with you in detail. Please lookout for further updates on the Reflections website.
Here are the 7 tips:
- Recruiters have around 7 to 10 seconds to go through each application. So, the application should highlight points which are relevant for that particular position. In short, the application needs to be customized to the job position. One single application cannot be suitable for different positions
- Keep the CV & Cover letter as simple as possible. It should be easy to read and follow. Having fancy patterns for CV or Cover letter does not make recruiters prioritize your application. Its only your experience in that particular position, which makes recruiters call you for the first interview
- It’s a skill to find a correct balance between being friendly and being professional when you receive your first call for the interview. Be friendly and be curious about the next steps. Ask questions and details about the how the interview would take place. This shows the recruiters your willingness to work and your interest in the position
- During the actual interview try giving concrete answers with examples. Generalized answers do not show how suitable you are for the position. Again, ask questions at the end of the interview. Prepare a set of questions well in advance of the interview
- Irrespective of for which position and in which company you apply, it’s important that your CV, Cover letter and other documents that you send, are in a single pdf file named as below:
surname_name_company’s name_date of application
- If the documents are asked separately, every document should be named as below:
Lebenslauf/CV_surname_name_company’s name_date of application
Anschreiben/Cover Letter_surname_name_company’s name_date of application
- Very important is to stay calm and friendly. Smile & show interest. The interview panellists want to know more about you and see how you are suitable for their company So be yourself! That really makes an exceptionally good impression. This will help you to get through the selection process. Happy Onboarding!